3.04.2013

Bryn's Flowers - a Yarn Bomb

The Yarn Bomb that inspired me
by the Ladies Fancywork Society
This year would have been Bryn's kindergarten year at Longfellow Elementary. She was so excited about going to school and meeting all her new friends. When she talked about kindergarten, her eyes lit up, her smile got bigger, and her whole body shook with excitement.

Then we lost her. An experience that changed our lives forever. Even though she never got to walk through her Kindergarten door, meet her new teacher, or experience all the joys of a 'big girl school', we can help keep her presence there.

I've been working with the school administrators and teachers to plan a fun and cheerful way to remember her and bring a smile to the kids, faculty, and parents. We will yarn bomb the chain link fence with crocheted flowers and butterflies - two of Bryn's favorite things.

Some of you know that I created a yarn bomb in memory of my Bryn at the beginning of the school year. Now that Spring Break is coming up, along with her birthday in April, I want this BIGGER yarn bomb in her honor.

Here's how you can be a part of this memorable and meaningful event:
  • Join my group on Facebook (If you don't have a FB account, let me know and I'll make sure you can still participate)
  • You can crochet items, help with set up or help with clean up, or send me zip ties
  • Read the volunteer information to find the online sign-up sheet and all the details you will need to know as a volunteer
  • Pick your favorite flower, pinwheel, butterfly, or rainbow color from the album in the group
  • Sign up using the online sign-up sheet (the link is only available through the FB group)
  • You may sign up for more than one item, but be aware that they need to be in the mail by March 18th to get to me in time



The flowers, pinwheels, butterflies, and bees we will use to decorate the fence
my Bryn


PLAY HARD ~ PLAY HOOKY

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The sign up info is under "volunteer information" at the top of the group page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/619549151404126/

      Delete
  2. Do we have to wait to be accepted to the group to get volunteer info?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm adding people as fast as I can. The sign up info is under "volunteer information" at the top of the group page.

      Delete
    2. I also meant to say thank you so much!! (sorry, scatterbrained!)

      Delete
    3. ...and you are doing a wonderful job...me I would be more than scatterbrained...I just feel it is a privilage to help with this project. THANK YOU

      Delete
  3. I'm very sorry about your little girl. She's beautiful! This idea is amazing tho! I would love to help by mailing but I'm a beginner crocheter. Don't worry I'll make sure everything looks great no matter what, but my ? is, if i can get more done than i sign up for, can i still send them? I don't want to promise more than i think i can do, but if i can do more,i would like to. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for helping. I definitely won't turn anything away, but also don't feel pressured to do more than you can. It's a good way to practice your skills!

      Delete
  4. I can't even imagine what you have gone through. My youngest is 6 and in 1st grade and also loves flowers and butterflies. I will sign up to make some and get them on their way to you. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the yarn bomb that inspired you. That one and the one you did for Bryn are the most beautiful yarn bombs I have ever seen. I can't wait to see this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely idea. I'm so sorry you have to do it - but I think it is a wonderful way to celebrate a life lost too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you have a wonderful response to this. I am so glad the school is continuing to let you do this! So nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!
    I tried to join the group, but I think it´s too late? I shared your story in my facebook page. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete