3.12.2013

Bryn's Flowers - Along the Way

The journey for this project started last September when I had the idea to create a yarn bomb for Bryn at the elementary school she would have gone to this year. You may know that I created and put up a yarn bomb at her preschool (it's still up!) last fall, so this will be my second in her honor. At first it was going to be something small, maybe a sleeve for a pole on the playground, but then it took a turn. I saw an incredible yarn bomb by the Ladies Fancywork Society - in 2010, they were commissioned to create a flower 'garden' for construction fences across Denver. Immediately I knew it was something Bryn would love and something that I could involve the entire crochet community in.

So far I've had an amazing, and overwhelming outpouring of love, support, and eagerness to be a part of the most epic project I've ever attempted. Fans of my Playin' Hooky page jumped at the chance to be involved, resulting in close to 300 members of the FB group I created in an attempt to keep things organized. Members had the chance to choose from 11 different flower designs, butterflies, bumblebees, pinwheels, stems & leaves, and even a rainbow. I created an online sign up sheet (again to keep things organized - both my parents are engineers so this kid had no chance of escaping OCD) and within an hour, all of the slots for crocheted items were filled. I had no idea I would get that kind of response! I've since had to add more items on two occasions so that everyone who wanted to help could have the chance to send something.
The designs we're using to yarn bomb the fence

Along with all the crocheting that's going on, I get daily words of encouragement, support, and love (and even German chocolate - scroll down) from everyone involved. I get so much strength from all of you. If you're local and want to help with set up, please let me know!

So that's where we are. I'm starting to get 6-10 packages a day with gorgeous items from all over the country (11 states so far) and even a couple from Germany and Australia. I'm going to try and update everyone through pictures, so if you're on Instagram or Twitter search #brynsflowers to see my daily photo-diary and other's contributions to the project too! You can also follow some of the pictures on my Facebook page.  Here are some pictures to get you caught up.

March 8: My first package notice!!

March 11: I had so many packages that they gave me a locker, I got my first International shipment from Australia, I'm trying to stay organized, some of the flowers in that day's mail.


March 12: My second International package came from Germany - and it didn't just have flowers in it. GERMAN CHOCOLATE!!! Happy

March 12: Today's flowers, a look at the fence we'll be covering, the German awesomeness

This was a special bird made by Beate (the same crocheter who sent me chocolate so I love her). It reminds me so much of a paper bird that's hanging on Bryn & Tara's ceiling that Beate gave me permission to hold it back from the yarn bomb and use it in the decoration of the room some how. 
PLAY HARD ~ PLAY HOOKY

No comments:

Post a Comment